Thursday, January 19, 2006

Net personalities...

I've been online for just over 3 years now. Last night I was lieing in bed thinking about the different personalities I've met in my time here. I freely admit that I've taken some of these personalities myself at times. I thought I'd document a few...

The Cyber Whore:

These are generally people who will have cyber or text sex with pretty much anyone. Usually they have such low self esteems that they will do anything to be 'liked', even if it involves degrading themselves. My guess is that their actual real life sexual experience is very limited.


The Cereal Net Dater:
This is a person who bounces from net relationship to net relationship. Always declaring their undying love within a day or so of meeting the other person. Moving way to fast, like real feelings are so easily transferred from one person to another. Do they ever have any intention of meeting one another? Do they talk about anything other than their 'love' and cybering one another? Doubtful. Do these people have such poor social skills that they are incapable of finding a partner offline? I'm thinking that its a good possibility.

The Self Pittiers:
Aka Emotional Attention Whores. These people constantly sign in and out of MSN with nick names along the lines of 'Loser' and 'I'm an idiot'. Most of the time I feel like agreeing. You IM them and enquire what's up, they reply with something along the lines of 'My life sucks'. Well fucking do something about it then?! Try turning off the computer, getting a real job, getting out into the real world. The Cereal Net Dater becomes one of these when his/her current net relationship moves on to someone else. For about 3 days till they find someone to fill the vacancy anyways.

The Suicidal Self Harmers:
Generally the conversation goes something like 'I've blocked everyone else on my list except you and I've taken pills/am cutting myself'. Like what the hell am I supposed to do about it from the other side of the world?! In my experience things always get better anyways, so offing yourself is a weak excuse.

The Big Talkers:
You know someone like this, I'm sure. Someone who talks about how tough and hard they are online whose probably a pussy in real life. Or someone who talks about how virile and sexual they are and has probably only ever had one drunken 15 year old fumble.

Compulsive Liars:
The ones who lie about their real name, age, marital status, give out fake pictures... And when confronted about this, they lie more to cover it up. Is the real you really so horrible??

The Dead People:
Yeah, believe it or not I've actually known of two people online to fake death. This is the ultimate in attention whoreish behavior. Its really selfish too, other people get put through the ringer mourning the 'deceased'. If you don't wanna be online anymore then just fucking leave. Enough with the fucking drama.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ayannali said...

I know about a guy who faked his death, very pathetic if you ask me.

Not sure I fit squarely in any of those catagories...ok maybe the cyber whore a bit.

*shrug* what can I tell ya.

Good insight though :)

2:29 AM  
Blogger eMMa said...

There are more categories than this. I just picked on the ones that have been bugging me lately.

9:39 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Wow! I didn't realize that people did things like that.
Boggles the mind.
I do realize people aren't exactly honest in what they write/say, but they create a bad taste that taints those that are decent and honest. Created an atmosphere where you become cynical about everyone.
How can you be sure? Guess you can't. ..Can you?
So glad I don't have to deal with that...
Thanks for another interesting spotlight on human nature.

2:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home