Thursday, September 21, 2006

Nana's Welsh Love spoon


A favourite souvenir for the tourists is a Welsh love spoon. They are made of wood and are carved very beautifully. Originally,they were made by young men as a love token for their sweethearts. There are many different designs demonstrating the skill and love of the hopefulsuitor. If the girl kept this present, all was well, but if she sent it back, she did not want him.

While I was sorting out my Grandmother's house today, I found the Welsh love spoon that my grandfather gave her when they were married. I'm not sure if he made it or not. I'll try to remember to ask her next time I see her.

Different symbols mean different things. These are what the ones on Nana's love spoon mean:

A single heart = my heart is yours
A cross = a faith
A key or keyhole = my home is yours

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have u tried eating ya cornflakes with it?

9:27 AM  
Blogger eMMa said...

Uh..no lol

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home