Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Our 'other' family

Our other family consist of Wayne and Teresa, their two daughters Sailekia and Nikkita. Sailekia is 22 and engaged to Shawn, she also has a daughter of her own Aimee. And Nikkita, usually known as Nikki is 17 and in a relationship with Mark.

I met them just before Christmas 1996 at a ToughLove Parent Support group meeting. I was going there because I was raising my brother John and sister Christine at the time. They were going their because their eldest was playing up too. It turned out that John and Sailekia were good buddies and part of the same crowd at school.

So our two families got to know each other well. We had joint family BBQs, went swimming together, alsorts, it was fun... John started to come round a lot with the male contact of Wayne. Wayne and Teresa even took in John's older brother Tauraki when their mother flew him up to Tauranga from the South Island, then kicked him out less than a week later.

They had their own family problems though. As well as Tauraki, they had Sailekia's 18 year old boyfriend Robert boarding with them. They were sure that nothing sexual was happening between Robert and Sailekia. They were wrong. Sailekia started missing a lot of school because she had a sore back and felt sick. An appointment was made for her at the doctors, and because both her parents were working I took her.

The pregnancy test came back positive, that same day Robert moved out, never to be seen again. Sailekia was 14, she had her 15th birthday 2 weeks before she had her baby. Sailekia gave birth to Aimee, me and Christine were both there. Aimee's name comes from my real name Emma spelt backwards.

The next year when I found out I was pregnant, Sailekia was the first person to know. Nicole was born one year and nine days after Aimee was. Teresa was there at the hospital with me. Their family were the first visitors. Nicole and Aimee are still very close. They call each other sisters.

We don't see their family as much as we used to these days. They are busy with their lives, and now live the other side of town instead of just up the road.

I miss them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home