Wednesday, November 30, 2005

The Deadbeat Dad

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was Nicole's 7th birthday on Monday. It was quite a low key affair as I'd already warned her that seeing as she'd had parties the previous 2 years...this one was going to be a quite one. So she had a friend over for the night, they watched DVDs, we went to McDonald's for tea, they played etc. Ended up the friend wanted to go home at bedtime. Her mother warned me that that may happen. So I gave her a call and she came got her.

I'd tried to get hold of Nicole's father a few times in the past month. Each time I called his cell phone was turned off. No surprises there really. Oh well, I thought...surely he'd make contact on or around her birthday. Surely? Don't be silly! She didn't hear from any of his family on her birthday. I had a call from his mother last week asking for our address, she wanted to send her something. That something has failed to turn up. :\ Nicole is getting rather disappointed as I had made the mistake of telling her that it was coming. They're all a pack of wankers. I don't like seeing my baby girl sad. Is it really that difficult to make one phone call?

4 Comments:

Blogger _-Sweet-Thing-_ said...

I'm sorry Nicole has to go through that too! it's hard on them but the truth about her dad is showing!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Michele said...

Oh, that is so heartbreaking!

I've two friends who experience the same thing. Another sad aspect of one of my friends, that even while they were still married, the father wanted nothing to do with his son. And when he did, it was haphazard, at best.
Now both women are divorced, one remarried and the other just, just started dating again.
And for both, the father is in absentia. Sometimes that's a good thing...you can only dissapoint a child so many times before they get a picture, and for the young ones...it unfortunately turns..sometimes..into a "what's wrong with me that Daddy won't even call?"..that is the saddest part, the hardest part.
Be strong for Nicole and give her a cyber-hug from this USA lady.

3:00 AM  
Blogger eMMa said...

I emailed her father last night with a picture of her on her birthday. The email heading was 'Nicole's birthday' and inside read 'Was last week'.

I decided there wasn't any point saying anything more than that. Up to him what he does about it.

9:20 AM  
Blogger _-Sweet-Thing-_ said...

I use to tell dylan and Caitlyn that dad was getting them presents after he told me he would so I learnt the hard way too! The Gavin would make promise's to them about presents. Dylan's at the point now where he doesn't blame me for it anymore and has such hatred for his dad which is a pity. but then he only has himself to blame for that!

9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home