Saturday, October 23, 2004

Imma petrol head.

Just got back from the first meeting of the season at BayPark Speedway, covered in terracotta dust, and still buzzing from it. There were a couple of roll-overs in a limited saloon race, but apart from that my passion for destruction wasn't really satisfied. Unfortunately the field of Street Stocks is much diminished from previous years, so much so they didn't even bother putting them out tonight. Must say I was disappointed, I love my Street Stocks!

The Super saloons were in good form, The manager of my local New World Supermarket, Dean Wardell has a new car this season. It was strange seeing him in a lime green car instead of the black one of past seasons. Him, Craig Richards and Tiger Wood's caddy Steve Williams seemed to be very evenly matched.

I've been a speedway fan for many years. Me and my brothers and sister used to go when I was in my late teens. This was when the old BayPark stadium was around. The seating consisted of wooden planks. We used to travel over to the speedway in my old little Honda City car, blasting my Pioneer stereo with Broken Wings by Mr Mister, We Built this City on Rock and Roll by Jefferson Starship and 'our song' River Deep, Mountain High by Jimmy Barnes. That was 'the good ole days', you know, when we actually talked to one another. LOL

The old BayPark Speedway closed down about 10 years ago. I vaguely remember going to the last meeting there....damn drugs. And no my siblings weren't with me at that time. Shit happens though, a lot of things have changed since then...

This is the fourth season the new and much improved BayPark has been open. And the 3rd season me and my daughter have been going. A big packet of chips, ear muffs and goggles and she's happy. Spends more time playing with my friend's son and daughter who we meet up with there. The music we listen to on the way there has changed. Tonight it was my mix CD of mainly metallica, HIM and cKy.

I still cringe when I hear that Jimmy Barnes song. My radio station insists on playing it at like 7am some mornings, a good incentive to get my ass outta bed...